Traveling around the world so often I had to learn to pack. Especially, my goal was to list things to not forget. My memory was sometimes failing. Then, practicing, I became good at prepare luggage according to the type of trip and the number of days spent out. So I am sharing my experience to help you and I am sure you will find it useful. Prepare your suitcase properly and your holiday will be better, believe me.
Before to go check the weather forecast and you will know more or less what to put in the luggage. Don’t trust too much the news about the weather and be prepared for some changes. Take always something for rain and if you are going to a warm place something for wind or cold. Do also the opposite. I mean that the climate is not completely reliable and it can be different in a while. Then focus on the planned activities or on what you want to do there. If you are going to the beach swimsuit will be necessary.
Five days are not so many, so if you are not going in the snow or where to is so cold and you need to attend important meetings, don’t carry too much. Choose a jacket that you can easily wear with all the clothes that you will put in the luggage. Coordinate the colors. Let’s see the list of the things not to forget when traveling.
- A pair of jeans for the journey to be comfortable on the plane and two pairs of trousers. It is good to have a skirt, shorts, it depends on you;
- four T-shirts, tops or shirts coordinated with the bottom clothes;
- a rain jacket or a heavy one in case you are going to a cold place;
- two or maximum of three pairs of shoes. Among them you can include flip flops to use in your hotel room;
- four or five pairs of socks and undergarments plus a swimsuit if the case;
- a pajama or a nightgown;
- a gym suit to be comfortable for adventure and excursions or some morning running;
- toiletries: non-liquids (razor, comb, contacts case, glasses, and toothbrush) and liquids (shampoo, body wash if there isn’t in the hotel,conditioner, toothpaste, face wash, deodorant, lotion, contact solution, conditioner, tinted moisturizer, deodorant, hair smoother, hairbrush,lipstick);
- personal items: phone, tablet, kindle, books, umbrella, laptop plus their chargers, camera, universal travel adapter, home keys, boarding pass, documents, reservations receipts, cash, credit cards.
Don’t forget the first aid kit. I suggest you read the tips I gave at the beginning of the post. Then you can start to prepare the luggage. How to pack? This is a question that you should ask yourself to save space. Even if the discussion on this topic is open you should roll your clothes. You prevent wrinkles and save a lot of space in the suitcase. Lay the item of clothing flat. Fold the bottom around 5 cm (about 2 inches). Starting from the opposite end of the fold, roll the item until you get the pocket. In the end, fold one side of the pocket over the roll to secure it.
Following carefully these steps you will put more things in your bag and everything will be ordered. If you need more tips and step by step instructions to prepare the perfect suitcase, I suggest reading this guide. Put on the bottom of the bag shoes, toiletries, and all the heavy items, to not damage anything.
To save space you can think about details and take care of them. For instance, download the electronic version of books and magazines, you can read them with kindle or tablet. And take small hand luggage with you to put essentials and valuable objects. Put inside some clothes for the first day in case the luggage will be lost. You never know.