I always had difficulties in the preparation of my travel bag. Generally, I do it at the last moment. But often I forget something: the toothpaste, the sleepers, a pair of shoes and so on. Luckily for some of the things left at home the hotels can help me. In many cases, they have toothpaste and sleepers. But for something else, I need to visit local shops. Especially when it comes to clothes or shoes it can be hard for me. But in a while, I find the right mood. That’s why I prepared a checklist that I share with you together with my packing tips for travel.
I like to travel with the essential, but especially traveling for business means to have elegant clothes. To be “perfect” for meetings. That is why when I forgot something at home I need to replace it, maybe because I do not have enough shirts or trousers… Why is it hard? Well, Italians are always research for fashion and to be trendy. I have to admit, I am a bit extravagant, so, despite the voluntary to be impeccable during my meetings. I do not always follow the rules of color matching and I am quite open to some local clothes and habits. Now with these tips, it is easier. I started for a need, but I want to help you with sharing my list.
Packing tips for travel: why I use them
When I enter a shop the instinct is to search the Italian style. But in some towns, it is not possible, so I start to explore local fashion. I experiment with a new international style. But this is another story, so it is better to go back to the main topic: the preparation of the suitcase. So to be sure to make it right, I have my list. What to bring to my destination?
First of all, I need clothes and I have to consider the season. Including the periods with climate changes. So it is the moment to be prepared for the cold and warm climate. Then I need shoes, it is better also to have sleepers just in case. I have to put toothbrush, toothpaste, and razor. This is the list, part of my advice, that I generally use to not forget anything.
Clothes and accessories
T-shirts for free time
Comfortable walking shoes
Just for some destinations on my list, there is a swimsuit.
The toiletry bag
It is generally good to add something for health, like:
Personal prescriptions (copies of scripts, I usually don’t have problems, but in case…)
Cold medicines and throat lozenges (this is something that often I need)
Hand sanitizer (it is always recommended to be safe in every condition)
As hand luggage, I have a small bag where I have, for short-range, the computer and the different devices. This is part of my packing tips for travel.
Headphones (it helps to reduce the noise during the trip and to not disturb others with the sound)
In the luggage, I have always a couple of books. I try to read before to sleep or during transfers if I can. In my packing list never miss the books. This time I will have with me:
“Hamilton: The Revolution” by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jeremy McCarter (backstage of a musical)
“Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City” by Matthew Desmond (2017 Pulitzer Prize)
Last but not least, the documents. Important for the packing advice. So I have with me what I need to get the plane and to find my room…
Passport (in some cases with a visa)
Frequent flyer card and the other loyalty program cards to get point and benefits
Cash and credit cards
Health insurance card
Travel insurance information
Reservations of the plane tickets and the hotels, of the transfers and the rent a car
- Local currency (when applicable)
More hints for the preparation of your suitcase
Go on vacation is fun and you expect that moment for a long time. But unfortunately, the preparation is hard and boring. That’s why I wrote down my list to do it fast and safely. It is not only a matter of things to pack, but you have to focus also on how you put things into your bag. Experts studied some methods that I made mine and I share here.
1. Start with clothes and roll them. If you want to save space and to prevent creases, you have to roll all the clothes you will take with you. Tops have to be facedown, fold in the sleeves, and then roll from the bottom up. Pick pants and put together the legs, then roll. Put clothes before anything else, shoes and accessories included.
2. Prefer travel-friendly fabrics. Not all types of clothes and materials are resistant enough to travel in bags. If you prefer linen and cotton, it will be easier to keep them closed in the suitcase. When you will take them out you won’t have creases.
3. Let on the top the outfit you will use first. I do when I have meetings on the same day of the journey (rarely because I want to avoid problems with flight delays). This will help you to find it immediately, to keep it ready, but not only. This small action will make you think about what to wear in advance. So you will pack only what you need.
4. Balance well the weight. Let all the heavy things on the base. This helps you to avoid smushed things. Especially if you have something fragile or souvenirs when you come back home.
5. Use plastic bags to protect delicate items. An accident can always happen, especially in airports suitcases are not treated very well. Hits and pulls inside are common, so take care of this detail.
6. Packing cubes are ideal to organize. To keep the suitcase organized, saving space and dividing clothes and other objects, use the packing cubes. They are durable and lightweight. You will save space, don’t worry.
7. Don’t let empty spaces. It looks like a joke because you should have a light suitcase to travel, but the risk is to crumple or break somethings. Just use plastic bags to fill the empty spaces. So nothing will move inside your luggage during the journey.
8. Extra bag for souvenirs. It’s hard to visit a place and go back without some souvenirs. So put in your suitcase a small backpack for them. You will use it as a cabin bag during your trip home.
9. Take with you a mini iron. Rolling clothes makes them safer, but you may need help for some of them. Maybe also after the first use. So put in luggage a mini iron to de-wrinkle your garment. It doesn’t require much space.
10. Laundry bags. Put in your suitcase some bags for dirty clothes. You can put them inside and divide them. When you will arrive at home it will be everything ready to wash.
11. Organize liquids. You know the limits for liquids for cabin luggage. So put them in a carry-on bag to avoid problems with security. Use a dedicated cube to put all of them and keep safe. Use a plastic box so if some bottle will be broken, you will prevent spreading the liquid around the suitcase.
12. Keep medicines with you. Don’t put meds in the carry-on bag. In case it will be lost, you will have them with you. Don’t forget the doctor’s prescription to justify them at the security check.
13. Bring a scarf and a pillow. It doesn’t matter if you travel in summer. Cold or air conditions are always ready to hit you. Especially on planes. So have a scarf with you and use it. Also, a pillow will help you to bring comfort to your head, avoiding any pain for the position.
14. Get a reusable bottle. An empty bottle has no problems passing the airport security checks and it helps you to put water on any occasion. Especially if you walk a lot and it is hot, you have to stay hydrated. It is cheap and it worths it as an investment for your health. You can catch the chance to buy the one offered by the iDeal of Sweden. I can share with you an extra 15% off. Time to time they propose different promotions on their website. You can add my discount to any offer, so get a huge discount. It is valid for all products. So explore the shop online and get the discount using the code ID15-203679 at checkout.
You have the list and the tips to prepare the perfect suitcase and to travel. Now I am ready to leave and to share, during my trip, about my explorations… I hope you will benefit from my packing tips for travel. Don’t forget to check my guides.
Don’t forget to share this post with your friends. You will be helpful to them.
It’s time to enjoy the trip!