Atlantic City is a vibrant resort city located on the coast of New Jersey, USA. It is known for its beautiful beaches, world-famous boardwalk, and exciting nightlife. Here you can discover Atlantic City things to do, with a lot of tips and hints.
One of the main attractions of Atlantic City is its many casinos, which offer a variety of gaming options and entertainment. Visitors can try their luck at slot machines, table games, and sports betting. Some of the most popular casinos include the Borgata, Harrah’s, and the Tropicana.
In addition to gambling, there are plenty of other activities to enjoy in Atlantic City. The city’s famous boardwalk is a must-see, stretching for miles along the beach and lined with shops, restaurants, and attractions. Visitors can also take a stroll on the beach, go fishing, or try their hand at surfing.
For those who love shopping, Atlantic City has many options, from the high-end boutiques at The Playground to the outlets at Tanger Outlets.
If you’re looking for entertainment, Atlantic City has plenty to offer, with shows and concerts at venues like the Boardwalk Hall and the Music Box at the Borgata.
Overall, Atlantic City is a great destination for anyone looking for a fun and exciting vacation. With its beautiful beaches, lively nightlife, and endless entertainment options, it’s easy to see why it’s a favorite among tourists.
Read also: Trains in San Francisco: they aren’t lost art and What to do in Houston: 20 things for all tastes.
Atlantic City things to do: history and curiosities
Before to discover the attractions, it is good to start from some historical facts and curiosities about the city.
Atlantic City was founded in 1854 as a seaside resort and quickly became a popular destination for vacationers, especially from nearby Philadelphia. In 1870, the world-famous boardwalk was built, which helped to attract even more visitors to the area.
During the early 20th century, Atlantic City was known as the “Playground of the World” and was home to many iconic attractions, including the Steel Pier and the Miss America Pageant.
In the mid-1970s, Atlantic City became the first place in the United States outside of Nevada to legalize casino gambling, which helped to revitalize the city’s economy.
Something to know
One interesting curiosity about Atlantic City is that it was the inspiration for the board game Monopoly. The game’s creator, Charles Darrow, visited the city in the 1930s and was inspired by its many streets and landmarks.
Another curiosity is that the original Boardwalk was built to help keep sand out of the nearby hotels and businesses. Today, it has become one of the city’s main attractions and stretches for 5.5 miles along the beach.
Overall, Atlantic City has a rich history and many interesting curiosities that make it a unique and fascinating destination.
Things to do in Atlantic City
Here there is a list of things to see and to do in the city.
- Boardwalk: this is the iconic attraction of Atlantic City. Stretching for miles along the beach, it’s lined with shops, restaurants, and amusement parks.
- Beach activities: visitors can enjoy swimming, sunbathing, surfing, kayaking, and more.
- Casinos and gambling: Atlantic City has some of the biggest casinos in the world, offering a variety of gaming options and entertainment.
- Shopping: there are many shopping options in Atlantic City, from high-end boutiques to outlet malls.
- Entertainment: Atlantic City is known for its shows, concerts, and performances at venues like Boardwalk Hall, the Borgata Event Center, and the Music Box at the Borgata.
- Outdoor activities: visitors can go fishing, boating, parasailing, and more.
- Museums and historical sites: some of the most popular attractions include the Absecon Lighthouse, the Atlantic City Aquarium, and the Atlantic City Historical Museum.
Attractions to see in Atlantic City
Do you want to know what are Atlantic City things to do? Here there is the list of unmissable attractions.
- Boardwalk Hall: this iconic venue has hosted everything from concerts to boxing matches to political conventions.
- Absecon Lighthouse: this 150-year-old lighthouse is the tallest in New Jersey and offers breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean.
- Steel Pier: this historic amusement park is located at the end of the boardwalk and features rides, games, and food.
- Lucy the Elephant: this six-story elephant-shaped building is a National Historic Landmark and a popular tourist attraction.
- Atlantic City Aquarium: this aquarium features exhibits on marine life from around the world, including sharks, rays, and sea turtles.
- The Playground: this shopping and dining destination features over 90 stores and restaurants, as well as a rooftop bar with stunning ocean views.
- Atlantic City Convention Center: this massive convention center hosts events of all kinds, from trade shows to concerts.
Before to start the trip, you should know something about the weather. It is important to decide the period to visit the city and to prepare the luggage.
Weather Atlantic City has a humid subtropical climate, with hot summers and mild winters. The best time to visit is between May and September when the weather is warm and the beach is open.
How to Get There
In order to to to Atlantic City, you can choose the best way for you.
- By car: Atlantic City is easily accessible by car, with major highways like the Garden State Parkway and Atlantic City Expressway leading directly into the city.
- By plane: the nearest airport is Atlantic City International Airport, which is located just outside the city. Visitors can also fly into Philadelphia International Airport and take a shuttle or rental car to Atlantic City.
- By train or bus: Amtrak and NJ Transit both offer service to Atlantic City, with trains and buses arriving at the Atlantic City Rail Terminal.
Where to Sleep
There are many options, you can consider budget and preferences.
- Hotels and resorts: Atlantic City has many hotels and resorts, ranging from budget-friendly to luxury. Some of the most popular include the Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa, the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, and the Tropicana Atlantic City.
- Bed and breakfasts: For a more personalized experience, visitors can stay at one of the many bed and breakfasts in the area, such as the Carisbrooke Inn or the Bayberry Inn.
- Vacation rentals: Visitors can also rent a vacation home or apartment through sites like Booking, Airbnb or VRBO.
What and where to eat
If you want to taste good food, you should follow my tips. Discover where to go and what to order. I listed option for all tastes.
- Seafood restaurants: Atlantic City is known for its fresh seafood, with many restaurants offering dishes like clam chowder, lobster, and crab cakes. Some popular seafood restaurants include Dock’s Oyster House, The Palm, and Harry’s Oyster Bar & Seafood.
- Italian cuisine: Atlantic City also has a strong Italian influence, with many restaurants offering traditional dishes like pasta, pizza, and antipasti. Some popular Italian restaurants include Angelo’s Fairmount Tavern, Carmine’s, and Il Mulino.
- Steakhouses: for those looking for a hearty meal, Atlantic City has several high-end steakhouses, including Old Homestead Steakhouse, Morton’s The Steakhouse, and Bobby Flay Steak.
- Boardwalk treats: no trip to Atlantic City is complete without trying some of the boardwalk’s iconic treats, like saltwater taffy, funnel cakes, and frozen custard. Some popular spots include James Candy Company, Steel’s Fudge, and The Original Fudge Kitchen.
- Saltwater taffy: it is a chewy, sweet candy that has been a boardwalk staple since the late 1800s. James Candy Company and Fralinger’s are two popular shops that offer a variety of flavors.
- White House Subs: it has been a local institution since 1946, serving up hearty, delicious subs with fresh ingredients. They have a wide variety of sandwiches, but the Italian is a fan favorite.
- Tomato pie: a South Jersey staple, tomato pie is a thin-crust pizza topped with a sweet, tangy tomato sauce and sprinkled with grated Romano cheese. You can find tomato pie at many local pizzerias, including Tony Boloney’s.
- Pork roll: this recipe, also known as Taylor ham, is a type of breakfast meat that’s popular in New Jersey. It’s often served on a roll with egg and cheese for a classic breakfast sandwich. Try it at Gilchrist Restaurant or Kelsey’s.
- Jersey corn: New Jersey is known for its fresh produce, and the corn is especially delicious in the summertime. Look for roadside stands or farmer’s markets to pick up some local corn to enjoy.
Bars and nightlife
Discover where to go after dinner.
- The Pool After Dark: located at Harrah’s Resort, The Pool After Dark is a popular nightclub that features live music and DJs, as well as a massive indoor pool. It’s a great spot for dancing and partying.
- The Iron Room: it is a cozy, speakeasy-style bar that serves craft cocktails, beer, and wine. They also have a small plates menu featuring local ingredients.
- The Beer Garden: it is at The Chelsea is a laid-back outdoor bar with picnic tables, a fire pit, and live music. They serve a wide variety of beer and have a rotating selection of food trucks on site.
- The Continental: it is a stylish bar and restaurant located in Caesar’s Palace. They have a creative cocktail menu and a fun, lively atmosphere.
- Boogie Nights: this place at Tropicana is a 70s and 80s-themed nightclub that’s a blast from the past. They have a spacious dance floor, retro decor, and themed events throughout the year.
- Firewaters Saloon: the bar at Tropicana is a Western-themed bar that serves beer, cocktails, and pub fare. They also have a mechanical bull for those feeling adventurous.
- Haven Nightclub: located at the Golden Nugget, Haven Nightclub is a high-energy dance club with state-of-the-art sound and lighting systems. They often have big-name DJs performing.
Whether you’re looking for a night of dancing or a more laid-back evening, there’s something for everyone in Atlantic City’s nightlife scene.
Tips for Trip Preparation
My last recommendations for your trip.
- Book in advance: Atlantic City is a popular destination, especially during peak season, so it’s best to book accommodations and activities in advance to ensure availability.
- Pack for the weather: as mentioned earlier, Atlantic City has a humid subtropical climate, so be sure to pack appropriate clothing for the season. It can also be windy on the beach, so bring a light jacket or sweater. Check out my packing guide.
- Budget accordingly: Atlantic City can be an expensive destination, especially if you plan on gambling or dining at high-end restaurants. Set a budget and stick to it to avoid overspending.
- Familiarize yourself with the city: Atlantic City can be overwhelming for first-time visitors, so take some time to familiarize yourself with the layout and transportation options. Many attractions are within walking distance of each other, but there are also taxis, shuttles, and public transportation available.
- Practice responsible gambling: this can be a fun activity, but it’s important to do so responsibly. Set limits on your spending and don’t chase losses.
- Take advantage of promotions and discounts: many hotels, casinos, and restaurants offer promotions and discounts, so be sure to check for deals before booking or dining.
Overall, Atlantic City is a great destination for anyone looking for a fun and exciting vacation. With its beautiful beaches, lively nightlife, and endless entertainment options, it’s easy to see why it’s a favorite among tourists. Now, you have all the information you need to organize the trip. I am pretty sure that you will have a lot of fun. It doesn’t matter what you will do. Any activity of your choice will be great. This because the place is amazing and vibrant. You will certainly like it.
About hotels, if you click the links included in the mentioned resort, you will access directly to special rates. So, take advantage of discounts, reserve and enjoy. Get ready, you will be surprise and people who will travel with you will thank you for the ideas to visit this destination.